Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Such a sad ending

My oldest son Draven went into his bed room tonight and saw a mouse. The other boys ran into the room and they were all screaming. My middle child, who is very sensitive and wants to be a vet, tried to catch it. He chased it out from under the bed because the cat was trying to get it. I was sitting in the living room in the chair watching them when the mouse ran between my youngest little boys legs through the dining room and into the kitchen. It was huge!! I thought I was going to die when I saw it. My husband and I went into the kitchen. When I got in there, one of the boys said its a chipmonk. Well, it was not a chip monk, but it was a flying squirrel. We tried to catch him and he ran behind the fridge.



I held a bucket and my huband tried to run him out with a broom. He ran out all right, but not into the bucket. Now the kids are hoopin and hollaring. It was so exciting. He ran right past me, through my little boys legs again and started jumping all over my husband who was laying in the floor beside the fridge. He ran back into my little boys room and jumped up onto his sword that he has. I snapped a pic and my hubby tried to catch him.


It didnt work. This time he ran into the living room. My little weenie dog had been watching the whole time.


He was all nervous and scared. He thought the little guy was trying to hurt us. He grabbed it, it got away from him and ran across the room. That is when the poor guy met his untimely end. The dog must have crushed him, because he appeared unharmed.


The kids were devistated. They had immediately fallen in love with it. My hubby tried to revive it, rubbing his tummy and blowing in his face. I just sat and watched it all, my heart breaking for the poor little squirrel and for my baby boys.


I cried. I know it is only an animal, but it was just so sad. Please listen to this I let my kids listen to it last night and it did help them understand. Funny thing is, I recieved it in an email just yesterday. Isn't God's timing simply amazing? I think I got that for this purpose.

We called my dad and he gave me the name of a taxidermy place. Now I am not one for dead animals being around, i think it is quite morbid, but, in this case I can make an exception. The man told us what we need to do to preserve it and that it would last about 6 months in the freezer, we aren't going to wait that long, but we are going to have to wait a few weeks to get it done. I am going to take it to my dads house and they will keep it there in the deep freeze because I can't bare to look at it all the time when I open mine. The kids are happy about keeping it around so to speak, but my seven year old told me we need to say a prayer for it. I explained that it was already to late for that, and that it was all ok now.


Mimi said...

Are the kids going to mount it on their wall when they get it stuffed by the taxidermist?
that would a be pretty cool reminder of "the night the squirrel got into the house!!

Lady Di Tn said...

Poor little squirrel. It probably died of fright after the weenie dog grabbed it.
We had a family of three flying squirrls that would come to the suet feeder on the walnut tree (tree has been cut for at least five years) and once while I was grilling one flew over my head and landed on the tree. If I had been any closer he might have hit my head. When my Dad was sick and staying with us, he delighted in watching for the squirrels to appear.
Your story brought back fond memories. Peace

jennifer said...

The picture of your son crying just breaks my heart. Sorry it didn't work out the way you would have liked. Kids get attatched quickly to animals, don't they. Jen

Denise said...

I am sorry about your childrens sadness over this sweetie.

Hope said...

So now when I come to visit in Powell Woods I will have to watch out for flying squirrels?? As long as they don't land in Maws beans it should be okay!! LOL

Love ya,

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

That was quite an experience with the squirrel. Too bad it has to die. But I see that your whole family became closer together because of this episode in your life. Funny how a small and vulnerable creature can effect such bonding in your family. God bless you all.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Brandy,
I have never heard of a Flying Squirrel before. I guess they don't have them around here. I know the boys are excited about having it preserved. Are you going to put it on their wall in the bedroom? I would be scared to death to have one of those things hanging in my house. LOL. I have a couple of BIL's that have deer heads mounted in their homes, but I couldn't do it. LOL. I'm a big old chicken. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

Charlotte said...

My goodness. This is quite a story. Any kind of roden kind of freaks me out. I'm sure I would have screamed. I'll bet the kids loved it though.

Charlotte said...

rodent - not roden. I'm tired. It's time for me to go to bed.
Goodnight. Have a great Friday tomorrow.

Mike Golch said...

Brandy,what a story.any time a animal dies it is sad,at least you BH tried to revive it.